Monday 16 April 2012

Ups and Downs from the Saddle

My training continues, and the pace has increased.  This weekend's highlight comprised three circuits of a rather windy Richmond Park and my legs are tired, but the rest of my body enthused having achieved a respectable average in the slightly inclement conditions and a grand top speed of 48kph which made me smile!  Inevitably, I was overtaken at several points during our thirty mile ride but this was more inspiring than disheartening - one highlight was on the third take of a short sharp hill when I was greeted by a friendly (and evidently uber proficient) cyclist who was not only firmly in his saddle, but was pushing his partner up the hill, simultaneously offering me some welcome encouragement!

At its maximum the gradient of Broomfield Hill is 12%.  It starts from The Robin Hood Roundabout easily enough and it would be tempting to carry on without concern as the smooth road winds its way through the attractive forest environment in which deer are common onlookers.  The wildlife will not give anything away about the hill that awaits cyclists who should not ignore the velocity of their fellows whizzing in the opposite direction - a clear warning sign as to what lies ahead when cycling in a clockwise direction... 

The trees suddenly begin to thin out and the route to the summit becomes visible.  A wide arc that heads to the right and then veers sharply upwards and to the left.  One sharp and harsh switchback is enough for the road to make the summit.  And sufficient for most cyclists to enter the red training zone.  The road begins with a steady 4%. However, upon reaching a road sign (appropriately a warning sign) it is time to shift down the gears and prepare for the steeper, punishing gradients ahead. 

Although the climb is not long it is hard.  30 metres is gained during its short distance and the view over London, if you have the energy to look over your left shoulder, is impressive from the top.  The reward for making it to the summit is a steady, flat section on the plateau, before a nice descent down towards the Kingston Roundabout.

I've decided I quite like climbing.  Heart beating, pulse racing and breathless at the top, surveying the achievement makes it all worth while.  Challenges no longer scare me, I embrace them knowing that in attempting that which feels difficult, and pushing myself beyond that which is simple or straightforward, feels great whether I get there first time, or not.  Progress rather than perfection is my primary aim and conquering my fears a close second.  Attitude adjustment comes faster when I give it a go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment