Friday 17 January 2014

The beating heart of my practice

My heart has been in need of surgery more than once.  Not due to any hereditary defect or condition compromising the vascular function, but something equally as painful (though, I'm pleased to say, not necessarily as serious in the long term) - put simply, my heart has needed mending.

My heart has experienced brokenness.  More than once.  

For all the 'I'll never do that again's, I did.  For all the lessons I felt I'd learnt the hard way, I had, and I needed reminding.  But the error was placing it in the wrong hands in the first place.  With time, I have learnt to treat my heart with a greater respect.  We are, possibly as a product of bitter experience, better acquainted.


Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.  
Buddha

A psychotherapy training is like an extended work-out for body, mind and soul.  During which my heart was pushed to the max at regular intervals.  It grew stronger, and more efficient.  Today, I choose very carefully who I open my heart to, so that when I do, I am able to do so fully, trusting that it will be held in the way it both deserves and needs to be.

My heart gets a work out everyday.  And not just when I'm at the gym (or on a bike, or in a pool).  I take my heart to work.  

My work involves both head, and heart.  I work from my head, and with my heart.  It is a finely tuned instrument, programmed to meet with and engage the hearts of those I seek to support.  

It is, I feel, only when everyone in the room is in touch with their heart that the work can ever truly begin.  






No comments:

Post a Comment