Sunday 25 September 2016

Begin just exactly where you are

The present moment is the only moment available to us, 
and it is the door to all moments. 
~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Teaching mindfulness always gives me more than it takes.  Whilst I may fret about the preparation of a class or workshop, once it's under way, the rewards are mine for the taking.  

Practising alongside others is always a pleasure, and never more so than when I find myself guiding a group, some of whom may be meeting the practice for the first time.  

Yesterday's workshop was no exception.  A group of us gathered and got onto mats with blocks and bolsters (and, in some cases, chairs) and practised mindfulness together - first sitting, then walking, before doing some more mindful movement in the form of long held yin yoga poses, concluding our two hours together with a seated reflection.  

Whilst a few faces were familiar, many of us were meeting for the first time.  Curiosity and open mindedness were our friends as we met one another and the formal practice.  Here, the beginner has a distinct advantage, unencumbered by the handicaps of previous association, and expectation led comparison.  

As I found my way round a venue I had not taught in before, the group settled into the practice and claimed the space as their own.  I am looking forward to welcoming some of them, and others, back on 22 October.  

Mindfulness is the observing of things as they are, 
without laying any of our projections or expectations onto what is happening.
~ Frank Jude Boccio




For more information about forthcoming workshops please visit my website



No comments:

Post a Comment