Tuesday 12 April 2011

Life on the Inside

"Doubt is to certainty as neurosis is to psychosis. The neurotic is in doubt and has fears about persons and things; the psychotic has convictions and makes claims about them.
In short, the neurotic has problems, the psychotic has solutions." Thomas Szasz

They were busy building a new fence when I visited to attend a meeting earlier today. The sight of it represented a stark contrast with the sunshine, and seemingly boundless openness of the surrounding rural landscape. Various members of staff alluded to 'escapes' and I wasn't sure whether these were real, or imagined. I was prompted to think about the various walls that the inpatients are confined within - the physical and the psychic barriers dividing them from the outside world. As I walked between the locked corridors I wondered whether any of us ever feel truly safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment