Saturday 18 June 2011

New York sounds heard in London

Seeing Alicia Keys perform live at the Royal Albert Hall was definitely a highlight of my week.

I could hardly believe it when she said her tour marked the 10th anniversary of the release of her debut album.  10 years, really?  She's sold 12 million copies of Songs in A Minor since then and one of those was mine.

Monday night's show was well worth the wait and the majestic surroundings of the Albert Hall provided the perfect setting for this diva whose work I have always admired and continue to enjoy.  Sitting at beautiful grand piano whose lid remained closed, her performance did not disappoint.  Surrounded by tall candleabras, Alicia was alone on stage, but needed no backing vocals.  We were captivated.  She performed for more than 90 minutes, her contralto voice throughout was simply awesome.

Announcing that she was in a "London state of mind", the whole house leapt to their feet for a tremendously emotional and hugely celebratory Empire State of Mind (Part II) - a fittingly supreme ending to an amazing concert.

This Grammy award-winning artist is a true performer and it was privilege to attend her show.  Her talent is blinding, and her energy infectious.  Above all, her lyrics communicate a strong sense of humility.  This is a young woman whose feet are still firmly on the ground.  She's proud of where she's come from. 


"If I want to be alone, some place I can write, I can read, I can pray, I can cry, I can do whatever I want - I go to the bathroom." - Alicia Keys

No comments:

Post a Comment