Tuesday 23 August 2011

Yoga: a good reminder of the importance of keeping the focus on ourselves

Attending a yoga class described as 'Intermediate/Advanced' was always going to pose a challenge.  I had no idea what this would look like until, 4 rounds of Surya Namaskara (Sun Salutations) into the practice, and I felt as though I'd visited the steam room on the way to the studio.  I was dripping.  My arms were shaking, and my hands were sliding all over the place. 




My energy levels were good, and I decided to give the practice my best shot, concentrating on my breath and attempting to regulate it, in spite of the exertions.  The class was pretty full, but bringing the focus onto my mat helped, keeping the focus on myself, and trying not to compare myself.  Yoga is, after all, not a competition, against myself or anyone else. 


I did what I could, mindful of aspiring towards progress, rather than perfection, and listening to the wisdom of my body, as I did my best to adapt certain postures, and surrendering when it came to forearm balances and handstands.
My body is unlikely to ever boast enormous flexibility.  The upward bow, or wheel pose (Urdhva Dhanurasana) is probably unlikely.  But who knows, with practice and persistence, in theory anything is possible.  Having been attending more regularly over recent months, my practice has evolved to an extent that, while not yet beyond my wildest dreams, certainly beyond my expectations. 


Just goes to show, there's much to be said for showing up, and trusting the process.  Commitment is a prerequisite, not just in terms of attendance, but in each aspect of my practice, I renew my commitment, and try my best.  There are good days and bad days, on and off my mat, but when I remember to keep it simple, my body has the ability to surprise me. 

Sun Salutation



No comments:

Post a Comment