Thursday 15 September 2011

An attitude of gratitude

Nearly six months ago I finally approached my GP about my knee.  It had been bothering me for some time, and didn't seem to be getting any better of my own accord.  I'm no longer in any pain, but it's still a little troublesome from time to time, and I have had to make several small lifestyle adjustments because of it.  Having attended my first outpatients appointment, during which x rays were taken and reviewed, I recently returned to hospital for an MRI scan.  The imaging suite's newly installed Siemens Magnetom was awesome and the respect with which I was treated and care I was given left a lasting impression.  The appointment was a humbling reminder of something I have perhaps, as someone fortunate enough to have had pretty good physical health, taken for granted.  The NHS is, in my opinion, an incredible resource.  During my appointment it dawned on me that I had access to state of the art science delivered with first class service.  Whether the image informs a diagnosis remains to be seen but I left feeling humbled, impressed and enormously grateful.  Though the NHS remains free at the point of use, I am a very happy 'customer'.   


No comments:

Post a Comment