Wednesday 21 September 2011

Be Here Now

Being on retreat is a little like entering a bubble.  I find it helpful to remind myself that the contents of the bubble are a matter of choice, and I have the ability to decide what it is that I surround myself with.  As humans, we have evolved wonderful minds with great capacity to do all kinds of things.  This is a great thing, and a terrible thing.  Whilst we have developed an ability to thrive, we are also the architects of some of our most awful suffering.  Within the context of a retreat, I am more open and receptive to the invitation to come into the now.  I can put my diary, and tendency to plan ahead aside for a few days, and bathe in the fact that I have all I need for the day ahead, something which is profoundly reassuring and nurturing in and of itself.  I can trust that my needs will be met, and that I will most likely be better attuned to them than I would were I rushing around, imagining that I’m doing everything most efficiently, when in fact I’m in a tailspin much of the time, juggling and ‘managing’ much that would manage itself, if I only let it.  Coming away from it all, physically helps to disconnect psychologically, particularly when mobile phone reception is intermittent and the internet something other than easily accessible.  I am reminded that I have little need, right here and right now, to know what is happening elsewhere, the conscious acknowledgment of which allows me to simply Be. Here. Now.


No comments:

Post a Comment