Wednesday 7 September 2011

Thank you for the Music(als)!

Shrek the Musical didn't quite live up to the over promoted expectations that had been created; Betwixt far exceeded anything I could imagine and my toes are still tapping from Fela!

For me, simply living in London is reason enough to prioritise getting to the theatre; it's on my door step, and I try to keep my finger on the pulse when it comes to what's on. Recently, I've been to more musicals than usual and experienced three very different shows, each of which have left a lasting impression.

"I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being."  Oscar Wilde



I had not previously encountered the swamp dwelling green ogre, and whilst designed with a younger rather theatre-goer in mind, the audience were certainly entertained by the thoroughly original (albeit, not for me, something I'd queue to see again) story which, from my perspective, detailed a journey of self discovery via self acceptance.  Throughout the not-really-very-catchy tunes, there was a prominent theme surrounding the celebration of difference, and the competition between Princess Fiona and Shrek as to whom had suffered the worst start in life speaks of the value of identification which enabled them to leave their pasts behind them, laying to rest the unhelpful aspects of their histories and moving forward with renewed spirit.  It is a heart warming story in which an unlikely hero fights a fearsome dragon, rescues the (feisty) Princess and learns that real friendship and true love aren’t only found in fairy tales...  Throughout, the irreverent humour spices up the plot, and makes for true family entertainment. 

 

 
Fela! is a very special show.  Afrobeats were heard in Angel, as we were transported to Lagos via Sadler's Wells.  The vibe carried us there within moments of the opening scenes, and the electric energy prompted contagious toe tapping which, in my case, continued long after the curtain fell.  Amongst an audience which was unusually representative of the capital's diversity, we none of us required an invitation to participate, and the final standing ovation was a fitting acknowledgment of the powerful experience the cast, and technical team had created for our unadulterated enjoyment - 'yeah yeah!'




Betwixt represented the third of my theatre hatrick and did not disappoint.  I was captivated from the moment the show started, and was transported on a fantastic adventure alongside the tremendously talented cast whose ingenious performances were pure class.  (I'll be watching out for Steven Webb, Will Hawksworth and Benedict Salter) The show is a scream.  Fresh, fast, fun and outrageously funny (Ashleigh Gray narrowly steals the show, in my humble opinion).  I wouldn't hesitate to go and see this again. 

 

"If life is just a stage, then we're all running around ad-libbing with no clue what the plot is. 
Maybe that's why we don't know whether it's a comedy or a tragedy." 
Bill Watterson


 


No comments:

Post a Comment