Wednesday 9 November 2011

Changes on the Horizon and how to Manage them

I have been offered an opportunity to become involved with a new venture involving the application of my skills and experience in a new and different context:  Change Management.


"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay as they are."
Bertolt Brecht

 
Whilst exploring the possibility, it occurred to me that the essence might concern managing attitude to change, rather than change itself.  Things change all the time.  There are those things we have a degree of control over, and there are the many we do not.  Of those we do, we may only be able to moderate certain aspects.  I am interested to test my hypothesis that self management lies at the heart of any wider change, and that this might be improved via attitudinal shift. 
 
"Change before you have to." Jack Welch


The key to any movement within an attitude held either personally, or more widely, is open mindedness.  The degree to which change is realistic is dictated by the willingness of those who will either instigate it or encounter its effects.  Team buy-in is essential. 


From my initial consideration and perusal of the concept, it strikes me that therapy constantly entails effective change management, as unless someone is prepared to change, transformation will wait in the wings without a cue.  Given my own commitment to change, and development, my first step is now to embrace the possibility of branching out into something new.  I can courageously trust the process. 



No comments:

Post a Comment