Sunday 1 January 2012

New Year: who will you resolve to be in 2012?


True bliss is to be found in a heated pool on the 42nd floor overlooking one of the most awesome landscapes my eyes have encountered.  Having enjoyed the 20m rooftop haven, I found myself thinking some more about language, and the words recreation and vacation.  It struck me that recreation, in its essence is really about re-creating something.  This time of year can inspire inward reflection, consolidating one's experience of the previous 365 days, and the highs and lows contained therein perhaps prompting desire and inspiring commitment to create something different, or re-create that which feels valuable.   


According to Taoist philosophy, Yin and Yang represent the infinite pairs of polarities, and every conceivable union of opposites: birth and death, growth and decay, health and illness; everything that is born must die, and everything that grows will one day decay, and we can assume that what is Yin today is destined to become Yang in the future, and vice-versa.  It is taught that through the maintenance of harmonious balance between Yin and Yang perfect health of body, mind and soul are made possible. 


Whilst enjoying my vacation, I am reminded of why I work.  I work because I enjoy my work.  I work also, because I enjoy my holidays.  I value, appreciate and enjoy not being at work only because I spend more of my time working than not.  The vacate in vacation might refer to the spaciousness I find possible whilst somewhere other than my usual surroundings and the enhanced potential for creativity.

The law of equilibrium insists that rest is as important as work, and that real rest enhances performance, stamina and resilience.  Our immune systems pay tribute to this fact.  Stopping to think, to breathe, and to be, presents an opportunity to become something different. 


No comments:

Post a Comment