Tuesday 6 December 2011

Notes from the Pool


I think about very little when I swim.  The clarity I experience on leaving the pool however is quite noticeable.  This afternoon is occurred to me that I swim greater distances when I don't set myself the goal of doing so. 

Whilst I still calculate how far I've swum (assisted by my nifty PoolMate that counts my laps) with nerdy interest as to my average number of strokes per length, and efficiency rate, this is a retrospective exercise.  On getting into the pool, I set aside targets, and goals, preferring instead to see how I'm feeling, and how my swim progresses.

 
"H20: two parts Heart one part Obsession."  Unknown

No two sessions are ever the same, and I can never accurately judge my energy levels until I'm in the water.  In fact, my energy sometimes surprises me - and more often than not, I have more available than I estimate on my way to the pool.  Swimming in the middle of the day provides a tremendous boost to waning energy levels, and refreshes me preparing me for the rest of my day. 


"The water is your friend. You don’t have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."  Aleksandr Popov

In allowing myself permission to simply see what happens, I give myself a rare opportunity; much of my day, indeed my week, is mapped out with appointments, and goals I set out to achieve.  By relinquishing the striving tendency, it's like having a mini holiday in the midst of my day:  I am able to appreciate the swim just for the swim and that way the reward really is in the journey.    


"You can't put a limit on anything.  The more you dream the farther you get."  Michael Phelps



 

No comments:

Post a Comment