Sunday 11 December 2011

Silence is Golden, or Blue perhaps?

Swimming affords me the opportunity to take a break in my day.  It opens a gap in which it is possible for me to truly abandon the conceptual mode my mind is apt to occupy.  Left unattended, my mind is full of language.  I spend much of my day speaking, and (hopefully) still more listening.  For leisure, I read and I'm rarely without my diary in which I record appointments, and a notebook and pencil - to jot ideas, map a new project, or compose yet another list.  I have no need for language of any sort in the pool, where it is therefore possible for me to switch into a perceptual mode - savouring my moment to moment experience of myself, swimming, right here, right now, length by length, breath by breath by breath...



No comments:

Post a Comment