Monday 9 January 2012

Meanderings from my Mat

My beautiful new orange yoga mat (thank you, Honor) has inspired me to consider some goals for my practice in the year ahead.  Attending my first class of 2012 presented several challenges, and reminded me about the importance of setting intentions as the first step along the road heading towards achievement.
Feathered Peacock

My first intention is to continue to practice regularly, by attending classes and practising alone at home.  I know that those individuals whose progress I have admired to date have incorporated a series of asanas into their daily routine, and have reaped the rewards. 

In terms of the poses I wish to concentrate on, forearm balances are definitely up there.  I have pretty good strength in my arms and shoulders (helped by swimming) but encounter a challenge when I seek to balance on them!  Whilst my forearms are reasonably strong, my real challenge is getting my rather long and unwiedly legs off the floor from Dolphin, a feat I will have achieve to realise my dream of the Feathered Peacock pose (Pincha Mayurasana).  Ever the realist, I have decided to master this along the same lines as I have improved my Headstand (Sirshasana) by practising a modified version, against the wall.  One of my immediate aims for 2012, is to face the fear and begin to practice my headstand, unsupported, in the middle of the room - resisting the temptation to move my mat to the wall or studio mirror. 

With both forward bends and backbends, it is progress rather than perfection that I seek.  I find the Bow pose (Dhanurasana) a real challenge, and some days can barely reach back to grab my ankles.  Other days, it comes more easily, and I can roll backwards and forwards on my tummy.  I'm a long way off attaining the Wheel, but just like the tortoise will plod along, and hopefully get there at some point.  In the meantime, I will continue to build my Bridge pose, and each class challenge myself to place my hands alongside my ears, and lift onto the crown of my head - the first preparatory stage en route to the full wheel pose.


Oftentimes, my head is less willing than my body and gets in the way of me trying new things, or developing the postures beyond that which feels comfortable, and familiar.  My current practice is as much about adopting a psychological flexibility as achieving physical suppleness.
       

My hamstrings are, like most cyclists', pretty tight.  They have, on occasion, been described as masculine.  Whilst I may never achieve bendy status, I would love to get a little further in my forward bends, such as Paschimottanasana (seated forward bend) and Upavistha Konasana (wide angle seated forward bend).  Little and often is probably the way forward to progress in these poses.  My biggest challenge in classes is to avoid comparing and despairing - how do they get their foreheads flat onto their thighs/the floor?




Likewise, my shoulders are stiff.  Not equally so, though: I can now reach my left hand far enough up my back, to clasp two or sometimes three fingers with my right hand.  Even with someone's help, I cannot yet say the same on the opposite side, my right shoulder is tighter than my left and lacks the manoeuvrability.  My facial expression, whilst not perhaps immediately identifiable as that of a cow, tells the story of my impatience and frustration. 

Cow faced Pose




Half Moon
Whilst my balance has improved, it gets a little more tricky in Half Moon pose (Ardha Chandrasana), and I notice a distinct discrepancy between my left and right sides which I would like to address.  The trick really is to keep breathing, and to lift my head rather than inspecting my toenails and assessing the urgency of a pedicure. 


Similarly, whilst my first two (standing) Warrior poses are looking far more graceful, Virabhadrasana III requires my attention.  Softening my gaze, and focusing on my breath is undoubtedly useful, but always a struggle. 

Standing on one leg, with my arms outstretched in front of me at shoulder height with my body horizontal to the ground will never come naturally, but muscle memory is not to be underestimated, and I am doing things now I couldn't have imagined 18 months ago. 

Warrior III


Crow pose
Considering my progress to date (as a relatively new yogi), I am rather proud of my Tree pose (Vrikshasana), and have enjoyed developing my Crow balance (Bakasana).  I have started to introduce variations to my side plank (Vasisthasana), and am now quite comfortable in this pose on both sides.  My camel (Ushtrasana) backbend has developed with practice, and I am now able to progress from my Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana) into the Plough pose (Halasana).  I would like to one day get my head down to the floor, and progress from the wide legged forward bend (Prasarita Padottanasana) to a tripod headstand. 


Tree pose



Yoga has taught me to be gentle with myself, and to work within my limits. Each time I practice a subtle challenge presents itself.  Can I find the true balance that this discipline entails? 
Patience and perseverance are friendly allies, and a force to be reckoned with, particularly when combined with compassionate dedication. 
Yoga is, for me, another journey:  an enjoyable and rewarding one that requires commitment rather than effort, and consistency rather than striving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment