Wednesday 1 February 2012

Fighting the unknown enemy

So, I'm taking up BodyCombat™.  It's an indirect battle I'm fighting.  The alien doesn't reside in me, though its force is something I'm acutely aware of.  I'm joining my dearest friend in her battle against cancer, and throwing all my weight at it.  This week, I've found myself getting down on my knees, simply handing over my desperate sense of powerlessness to something greater than me.


"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference."  Winston Churchill

"The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it."  C. C. Scott


Battle has commenced.  Chemo starts on Friday.  I'm heading to my first BodyCombat™ class to push my body through its own trial.  It'll be a shock to the system, and hopefully give me 50 minutes in which to focus my anger, and my fear.  I am going to kick and punch the injustice that her diagnosis represents.  There's no point in thinking 'why?'  We'll never know.  It's over to the experts on 'how?' and 'when?' so, I'm taking a leaf out of her book, adopting a positive mental attitude.  If I can lift my heart rate and burn some calories whilst imagining myself in hand to hand combat with the evil alien, so much the better. 


"If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope?
We have two options, medically and emotionally: to give up, or fight like hell." 
Lance Armstrong






No comments:

Post a Comment