Wednesday 15 February 2012

Music: Mind altering. Mood enhancing. Attitude Adjusting.

The Royal Philharmonic did not disappoint.  The Cadogan Hall is one of my favourite London venues, and it made the perfect setting for a wonderful concert featuring some of the best-loved music by one of the world's most popular composers, Burt Bacharach.  The performances of the four fabulous vocalists brought something very special to the evening, which I enjoyed surrounded by a sea of couples, all of whom had opted out of the cliche to celebrate Valentine's Day in a delightfully alternative fashion.  I drunk in the lurve, and revelled in the superb acoustics at the home of the RPO which provided a feast for eyes and ears. 

Cadogan Hall was constructed as a Church with Byzantine architectural influences
When congregations diminished it fell into disuse and was bought by Mohamed Al Fayed

In 2000 the Cadogan Estate purchased and renovated the Hall
In 2004 the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra performed their first concert as the resident ensemble

There is, I have come to realise, an ocean between feeling lonely, and being alone. The condition of loneliness is perhaps best regarded as a constituent of the diagnostic criteria for being human:  we are all, at times, prone to experience it, no matter how fleetingly. Last night was a special reminder that I need never feel alone. Surrounded by others brought together by our mutual appreciation of the splendid orchestra, under the masterful leadership of their Conductor and Musical Director, Richard Balcombe my evening was none the less enjoyable for having been spent toute seule.



Music has magical powers. It is capable of transporting me to happier times, prompting memories or calling to mind those people and things I care most about. It can resonate with my mood, marking and accentuating it, or it can soothe my heart and lift my spirits. At other times, it simply accompanies the absence of accessible emotion, allowing me to occupy and explore the void more fully. Music really does strike a chord with my soul and psyche, and is, I now realise, something my life would feel bland and empty without. I am never far from music, and whilst I don't have a soundtrack alongside my client work, regardless of my mode of transport I generally travel with music, and tunes come with me to the gym, and even underwater. I greet each new day with music, and generally end the evening on an acoustic note. For me, music has become something of a meditation and a celebration of the wondrous beauty the world I inhabit has to offer.



Last night reminded me of my own experience of playing in an orchestra whilst at school, and I reconnected with the sense of camaraderie inspired by the moments of nervous anticipating of a performance and the challenge of individual practice (solo pieces for intermediate level double bassists are few and far between and practising one's parts in orchestral works without my colleagues was rarely the most melodic of activities!) Whilst the vicarious enjoyment available at a concert or recital is considerable, I realised last night that I miss the hands-on version. Time to find that piano teacher...



No comments:

Post a Comment