Friday 2 March 2012

Acceptance: a building block for Happiness?


"We cannot change anything until we accept it." 
C. S. Jung


I have been speculating about the points of confluence and difference between forgiveness and acceptance.  It strikes me that acceptance is a far more critical component of a serene existence than forgiveness, and one that is more easily accessible to those of us who, whilst vastly changed in our attitudes, outlook and behaviour, continue to live in the human plane and are, as such, perfectly imperfect. 


Somebody recently asked me to summarise what I understood about forgiveness, and I said I didn't have a clue.  On seeing the disappointment that met my honest, yet rather abrupt response, I decided to elaborate, explaining that whilst I felt clueless about the mechanics of forgiveness, I did feel I knew a helluva lot about acceptance, and tolerance. 


'Live and let live' has become a bit of a mantra to me in recent years.  It is, I think, nothing short of a lifesaver.  Within four words is the recipe for 'how to do life, well.'  Social animals we may be, but membership of the species does not entail the skills required to live harmoniously let alone serenely side by side one another.   

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, is a field.
I'll meet you there."
Rumi


For some people, in some circumstances, forgiveness is not, and never will be, an option.  Acceptance however is possible, and may represent the key permitting them to live the life they deserve, and thrive rather than survive.  Acceptance is radical, and powerful; life changing, life enhancing, life giving.   


Acceptance is a major determinant of happiness and, therefore, well being.  Without it the incline that is life is apt to be far steeper than we can manage.  Life is difficult.  That's the undeniable truth.  We have a choice as to how long we dwell on the fact.  Once we've acknowledged the climb we are facing, we serve ourselves better by getting on with the everyday business of life, on life's terms, making incremental progress and focusing on the challenges ahead and the obstacles that require our energy and attention, right here and right now.  Taking things as they come, a day at a time, ensures us better progress than dwelling on the injustice of the journey so far.   


"Be willing to have it so.  Accepting what has happened is the first step in overcoming the consequences of any misfortune." 
William James







No comments:

Post a Comment