Friday 9 March 2012

Mini Breaks Maximum Benefits

One of my first supervisors regularly used to ask me when my next break was.  If I didn't know, she became very concerned, highlighting to me the importance of having time off, and taking it regularly.  Just as I would plan annual leave, were I still salaried, I organise my breaks ahead of time meaning that I am always working within a defined interval.  Momentum is important.  Maintaining momentum is essential.  I need to nourish myself first if I am going to be able to offer anything nurturing to those I work with. 

"Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop."
Ovid

The way in which we choose to spend vacation time is highly individual, differing from person to person.  For me, it was time to get away from my routine and my usual surroundings.  It has been a couple of months since I returned from Hong Kong and whilst a trip like that isn't on the cards for a while yet, a shorter break closer to home was.  Making a conscious choice to leave phone calls, emails, the internet, and media (including my Blog) for a few days is one of the things I find helpful in creating the optimal conditions for a mini retreat, ensuring I derive maximum benefit from the time I take as my own.  Creating some distance from the outside world, whilst not always easy, is possible though it takes some forward planning and then a commitment to cut off in order to cut loose. 

"For fast-acting relief, try slowing down."
Lily Tomlin

I find taking time out enormously helpful in punctuating my year, creating breathing space in my schedule, enabling me to work most effectively.  Giving myself time to reflect on my work restores balance, generates creativity and replenishes my energy levels, ensuring that I remain useful.  Switching off is essential for me to tune in to myself.  For me, this might be called soul care. 


"An unhurried sense of time is itself a source of wealth"
Bonnie Friedman, New York Times




No comments:

Post a Comment