Thursday 1 March 2012

Proudly standing, or cycling alongside the real Warrior

My yoga practice has recently taken on a whole new meaning.  I no longer think twice about to whom it is that I devote my practice to.  I offer my practice up, like a prayer, for those I love, those I have lost and those who are suffering.  One person comes instantly to mind, whenever I stand on my yoga mat, get on the spin bike, pick up any weights, or stand at the beginning of a Combat class.  Charlotte.

Virabhadrasana II - Warrior II
Benefits: Strengthens legs; stretches groins, chest, shoulders
Helps: Endurance, weariness, confidence, a scattered mind, imbalanced spirit
Virabhadrasana I - Warrior I
Benefits: Strengthens ankles, knees, legs, hips, core, shoulders, arms; stretches shoulders, chest, abs, groins
Helps: Anxiety, stress, insomnia, focus
Viparita Virabhadrasana - Reverse Warrior
Benefits: Strengthens legs, abs; stretches inner thighs, hips, groins; keeps spine flexible
Helps: Fatigue, low back pain, a scattered mind
Virabhadrasana III - Warrior III
Benefits: Strengthens core, legs, ankles; lengthens spine
Helps: Poor posture, weak knees, endurance, focus, balance, poise


It was an honour and a privilege and an enormously humbling experience to ride alongside (well, more accurately behind) she who had only 48 hours previously been lying in Kings College Hospital receiving the second dose of some of the most toxic substances known to medical science.  We had a glorious ride to and from Look Mum No Hands, and lunch was quite simply delicious. 

Charlotte has for quite some time been a very dear friend and a major source of strength and inspiration.  If I can lend her either in any small measure right now, it would be a pleasure.  As I am slowly becoming more familiar with the moves and sequences in Combat, and rather less quickly gaining coordination, I do so with the intention of joining the humblest warrior I know in her supreme effort against a vile and deadly opponent.  My enthusiasm in the mission knows no bounds.  She has shaved her head and pledged to abandon any trace of negativity.  Together, we are unstoppable. 





"When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change:  at such a moment there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready.  The challenge will not wait.  Life does not look back.  A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny." 

"Like the fighter, the Warrior of Light is aware of his or her immense strength, and will never fight with anyone who does not deserve the honour of combat." 

"Only the following items should be considered to be grave faults: not respecting another's rights: allowing oneself to be paralysed by fear; feeling guilty; believing that one does not deserve the good or ill that happens in one's life; being a coward. We will love our enemies, but not make alliances with them. They were placed in our path in order to test our sword, and we should, out of respect for them, struggle against them. We will choose our enemies."

Paulo Coelho


No comments:

Post a Comment