Tuesday 20 March 2012

What the Bleep do I know? (Far less than what I have come to believe)

I believe that our thoughts have tremendous power over our emotions.  This echoes but goes further than the traditional cognitive therapy premise that by changing attitudes we can change our experiences - the way in which we incline our minds can change our lives.  I believe in the power of positive thought and have been giving this some consideration recently. 

There are times when we need to believe in something.  When feeling as though we tread this earth alone without a bigger picture is perhaps a rather off putting notion.  At times like these, anything will do.  The saying goes that there weren't any atheists aboard the Titanic when it sank though plenty of agnostics may have set sail in it. 

I have come to believe that there is something directing this game called Life.  It helps me make sense of the challenges I've encountered myself and the struggles that beset each of us.  Whilst I couldn't paint what it looks like, and am unlikely to ever come face to face with it, I hold on to a sense that there is something greater than any of us, who knows the rules and spins the dial determining what happens next.  That's not to say that my actions and omissions don't count.  They do, I have my part to play but I am a tiny fragment in a picture whose dimensions exceed the limits of my imagination, and whose content I will never fully comprehend.  

This is just my version of it.  I don't seek to promote it and I couldn't justify it if I tried.  As such, I acknowledge its convenience.  Faith, or spirituality is a highly individual matter and one that may change over time.  I respect the ideas and beliefs of others, and also their right to hold these silently and privately.  What I have observed in my work and my life more generally is that the possession of some beliefs can address and alleviate our many existential dilemmas and help those that hold them live more contentedly with the big questions:  who am I?  why am I here?  is this it?  what is the point?


One of my all time favourite films is 'What the Bleep do we know?'  I vividly remember going to see it on the big screen.  I know no more than I did then, and yet I've learnt so much.  Life is perhaps nothing more than a very steep learning curve, but I like to think I put some of the knowledge I stumble across into practice...

As I sleep better believing that there is a rhyme or reason behind the puzzling and troubling circumstances in which I find myself and those I care about, I choose to hold on to the sense that whilst it may not turn out the way I'd like to plan it, all will be well.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment