Monday 23 April 2012

Monday brilliant Monday

The blackbird who sings to announce the dawn helps me start my day with gratitude and serenity.  More reliable than any alarm clock, the her toneful tune encourages me to wake from my slumbers and urges me to embrace the day, as she seems to. 

Recovery has instilled a sense of routine which when I sustain it, ensures a degree of maintenance and consistency, which I find valuable. These days, my day tends to start and end in much the same way each day.  There are certain things I do before I get out of bed, and several steps that I take on getting up before flicking the kettle on to make my first cup of tea.  Two slogans have been instrumental in setting the tone of my morning, 'First things First' and 'Easy Does It'.  Each day is a new day, with infinite potential.  Yesterday has gone, tomorrow's yet to come, all I have is this day.


Experience has shown me that taking life twenty four hours at a time is enormously helpful in combating the fears and anxieties that might otherwise rule my existence.  Today I can make a commitment to do something just for today that just the thought of doing for a lifetime might appal me.  None of this is original.  It is all recycled wisdom taken from things I have heard, and tried for myself, and found to work. 


Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once.
Just for today I will be happy. 
This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that
"Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Just for today I will adjust myself to what is,
and not try to adjust everything to my own desires.
Just for today I will try and strengthen my mind. 
Just for today I will exercise my soul:
I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out. 
I will do at least two things I don't want to do.
Just for today I will be agreeable.
Just for today I will be unafraid. 
Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful,
and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.
(Anonymous) 






No comments:

Post a Comment