Sunday 22 April 2012

Round and Round

Today wasn't about beating anyone or anything.  Not even the clock.  Having established something of a Sunday routine, I now have something to measure myself against, and that's plenty good enough.  As it happened today we clocked up 54k in two and a half hours.  After a busy week and a good night's sleep, I was ready to give it my best shot and meeting Sam and Charlotte at Pembroke Lodge for a cup of tea provided inspiration and motivation in abundance.  They are both heroes.   

We completed a little over three and three quarter circuits of the Park today - doing nearly two complete turns in the clockwise direction we have become familiar with, and then going back on ourselves to do a little less than 2 full circuits in the anticlockwise direction.  It was different.  From my perspective, switching directions and trying something new kept my interest and re-established the focus I had begun this morning with.  Neither direction is better or worse, they are incomparable for the most part, and reversing our traverse felt to be an unrecognisable ride.  Mixing it up is definitely the way forward.   

I've heard it said that in recovery things get real, things get different, things get really different.  2012 so far has followed that recipe.  I've learnt that when the going gets heavy it's time to drop a gear or two and sit firmly in the saddle. 


To date, I've raised over £1300 (including GiftAid) in sponsorship. I'm thrilled.  With a little over a month left before I take the plunge (literally, in the Thames for the Great London Swim) there really is no time like the present. Please support my continued efforts to raise as much money as possible for Breast Cancer Care and Marie Curie.


No comments:

Post a Comment