Saturday 12 May 2012

Home Time

"Nothing would keep me here" she said, blankly.  "It's home time." 

She was right.  The hands of the clocks confirmed it was indeed 5 o'clock.  And she was making her way with some purpose, down the corridor, towards the lift. 




Home time is something I can't remember being referred to as such since primary school.  Somehow, in that environment, there was never any question about it.  The bell rang, and we dispersed.  Everyone went home.  Teachers and pupils filed out of the classroom and it was, quite simply, the end of the day.  I couldn't ignore how it had struck me as odd that my colleague was so clear about the time at which she left the building.  When did home time become vague?  When did this get blurry as a concept?

Working for myself, I recognise that my working hours are somewhat flexible.  It works both ways.  I have a degree of autonomy over my hours, whilst accommodating my clients' needs as best I can.  Thinking back to my own experience of school, and how I learnt the significance of home time at junior school and registration at senior school, where it was down to me to ensure I arrived on time, I began to think about where these two lessons (possibly some of the most useful long term) had perhaps become slightly eroded over time.

In previous lives I've worked in different environments.  I'm not totally alien to those in which the proverbial jacket on chair myth exists.  Those who arrive earliest and leave latest (or, perhaps they don't leave...) are considered highly.  Where the office showers are used, and not just by cyclists.  Where deadlines are tight, and conference calls across timezones mean crazy hours.  Yeap, I've been there and done that.  Short term it can work.  Provided people are eating well and sleeping sometimes.  Longer term, it's less certain.   

Burnout is a reality.  I've seen casualties.  I hope to have supported a few who were on their way there.  Finding a balance is a serious challenge.  But one well worth undertaking to avoid 'here today, gone tomorrow' syndrome.  Taking time out before one needs to means two things: increased chances of actually enjoying one's recreation and not having to take longer periods of time due to work related stress or ill health later on.  Work smart.  Book that break. 




No comments:

Post a Comment