Sunday 27 May 2012

Time to shine

Approaching the ExCel Centre and the Royal Victoria Dock yesterday morning there was a somewhat incongruous mixture of people meandering around - those attending the London Comic Con MCM Expo and those who had or were planning to swim a mile in the Thames.  Clad in my brand new wetsuit, nerves began to escalate as we surveyed the course.  The circuit demarcated by the buoys and safety team bobbing in kayaks seemed to stretch into the middle distance.  We watched a few swimmers complete the course, and I began to worry.

I was relieved to meet Rob, who proudly told me this was his first open water event.  We matched - wearing matching BlueSeventy suits, and identical Aquasphere goggles.  We chatted about our training as we stood in the queue to check-in to swim in the 'Blue Wave' scheduled to start at 12:30 and I began to feel better about things.  Whilst it was sunny, the conditions weren't as good as they had been earlier, and the water was pretty choppy.  Kerri-Ann Payne wasn't looking to smash any personal bests and Rob and I agreed that we'd be pleased with sub 40 minutes.

I was glad for Rob's advice about making the most of the acclimatisation time.  We sat in the water before immersing our faces after counting to 3.  I was surprised how salty the Thames was.  After a snappy group warm-up to the music of Gotye and safety briefing, we passed under the gantry and started our swim.  The first 300m were hard going.  I struggled to get into a rhythm and swallowed rather too much water.  There were too many people.  I couldn't see the course.  I felt out of my depth.  I was. 

Out of my depth perhaps, but it wasn't long before I got into my stroke.  Passing the 400m mark, I had settled and regained my focus.  The task ahead felt manageable, and I decided to enjoy the experience.  Surrounded by fellow swimmers, all of us equally enthusiastic, there was discernible camaraderie in the water. 

Swimming into the wind, I felt at times as though I was barely treading water, rather than actually making progress.  I was more than relieved to pass the half way point, but disappointed we didn't turn for a further 100m or so.  Returning back under the footbridge I spotted the finish, and gave it my best. 

I finished at 00:32:50 which placed me 654th overall (out of 2176 swimmers).  I came 186 out of 964 women. 


Swimming in the sunshine in aid of Breast Cancer Care and Marie Curie felt like a wonderful way to kick off the weekend but meeting Charlotte in the Park this morning was the highlight.  Seeing her in the saddle just a week after a rather gruelling sixth chemo was nothing short of brilliant.  Riding a couple of circuits with her at a comfortable pace was fab.  Whilst I am proud of my little medal, it is her achievements that really shine.  This morning in Richmond, I basked in her glory and was just thrilled to pedal alongside my best friend, the true hero. 




No comments:

Post a Comment