Thursday 26 July 2012

A is for Alive

Getting out on my bike and riding a few circuits of the park recently provided much needed reprieve.  After a long, hot and sticky day too much of which felt to have been spent in the four walls of my not at all air conditioned room (thank goodness for the rickety little fan that worked wonders), getting out into the expanse of beauty that is Richmond Park was exactly what both my mind and body needed.  And I was in good company.  There were quite a few fellow cyclists in either direction, enjoying the warmth of the sunshine, the beautiful views and the incredible sense of spaciousness the experience of which usually necessitates a far longer journey.





I clocked up a fair few miles on my beloved single speed that evening and again the following day, when I returned for a rather more solitary cycle.  What I lacked in gear, I made up for in sheer enthusiasm, breathing in the fresh air, and enjoying my rather serene pace.  (I still managed to hit a top speed of 33.8mph!)  The tips Charlotte shared with me on a recent mini session were invaluable and I am noticing that the spin classes are paying dividends.  My stamina has greatly increased, meaning that my recovery has shrunk, enabling me to enjoy more of my ride.  I dug in hard where it counted, and was able to hold my own against the best of them (excluding perhaps our friends on carbon bikes against which my dear old commuter does not really stand a chance.) 


Competition probably isn't my destiny on two wheels, and my riding is more about pleasure than prowess.  Above all, my evening ride was a great reminder of what it's like to feel fully alive, and to embrace and engage fully with such precious moments.   







No comments:

Post a Comment