Monday 3 September 2012

An experience worth travelling for


My work doesn't generally involve too much travel outside of London and the home counties.  I'd not previously flown for work.  I'd not been to Glasgow before this weekend.  I've still not really been to Glasgow.  I have however been to Pollok House.  The beautiful National Trust for Scotland property set in wonderful gardens and parkland made a fitting venue for the workshop I delivered on behalf of the charity Missing People on Saturday afternoon.  Working with the families of missing people is a privilege.  Meeting them and working face to face in a group setting is a particular privilege, and I left Glasgow on Saturday evening feeling both honoured and humbled by the events of my long day.  It was my first time meeting the individuals who participated and for many of them, the first time they had met another family affected by this harrowing issue.  Whilst their stories were often very different, the situations in which they found themselves and the thoughts they have been plagued by ever since, bore striking resemblances.  We worked with the similarities, and I invited them to take what they liked, and leave the rest.  I felt as though I took a great deal with me as I left - there were many learnings for myself and the rest of the team delivering what was the first ever Family Support Day forming an important component of our Pilot family support programme funded in part by the Big Lottery.  I was grateful for the opportunity to be of service to this most deserving population whom approached the mindfulness workshop with tremendous open mindedness and willingness.  Language barriers notwithstanding, even the Highland cattle were friendly... 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment