Tuesday 11 September 2012

Seeing the light

 
In an ideal world, I'd live in a climate warm enough to swim outdoors all year round.  As it is, I live in South West London.  That being so, I have been spoilt.  The pool in which I train most often has a great amount of natural light, courtesy of the enormous glass roof.  It's a real joy.  It's almost as good as swimming in the open air.  A close second, and somewhat more practical for swimming 12 months of the year.  Besides which, it's single depth and has two ends (pools such as that to be found in Richmond's Old Deer Park, with a series of steps at the shallow end, whilst tempting to get into, prove hard to stay in for very long as turning is near impossible!)  I like my pool.  I also like exploring others.  As something of a pool nerd, I investigate swimming venues.  I subscribe to more than one online swimming magazine, read blogs written by fellow water babies, and dream of having my own pool. 
 
 


Until such time as my circumstances are radically altered enabling me to install an Endless Pool or similar, I will continue to journey around London and the South East in search of the perfect swimming arena.  In the meantime, I was caused to think about my preferred swimming conditions, and the significance of natural light in indoor pools.  My favourite pool of the year so far being the 50m haven I discovered at the Sports Village on Bath University's stunning campus was without much natural light, but was well lit.  The difference a few windows make is remarkable.  Whilst the days remain on the longer side, I value the choice of pool.  For winter training, the cosy womb like darkness may hold greater appeal. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment