Thursday 11 October 2012

The road gets steeper, and the vista widens

Surrender has been a prominent theme in recent weeks.  On so many levels.  For me, there are few lessons learnt as effectively as lessons lived.  My own experience is a wonderful laboratory for many an unanticipated (and sometimes less than welcome) hypothesis.  I feel as though I have gleaned a great amount of late.
 
I can now see how very different surrender and resignation are.  I can only see this having felt it.  Giving up is not an option.  Surrender is not only an option, it is sometimes absolutely the right thing to do.  Which is not to say that it's easy. 
 
It's not been easy.  Watching someone you love losing their life to a chronic and debilitating illness isn't something I'd wish on anybody.  Watching the life being steadily squeezed out of a family member, powerless in the face of a ruthless and progressive condition, is challenging on every level.
 
She's fading away.  We've not lost her, but we've lost lots of her.  She is not the person she was.  Our relationships have been dramatically altered.  Circumstances are forcing us to have conversations, and make decisions that feel unjustly premature.
 
Resources are limited.  Energy is at an all time low.  Time feels short.  But panic we must not.  There is much that we can do.  Adjustments need to be made.  In every sphere. 
 
Each breath is precious.  I know this to be true.  Words are useful, but are not always of great value.  There is action to be taken.  We are recruiting a carer.  No one can be in two places at once.  But we can build our team.  Whilst we can't make time longer, my hope would be to make it richer.    
 
 
"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."
William Shakespeare
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment