Thursday 1 November 2012

Moments that remind me I'm alive

Today it felt like winter had arrived.  Real winter, not just the supermarkets getting overly excited and decking out the halls well before they should, cold and crisp, and crunchy.  The apple I bit into after lunch was decidedly British.  Having developed a soft spot for pippins of the Pink Lady variety, shipped from lands afar I concede that, at this time of year, home grown are hard to beat. 
 
I was momentarily transported to years gone by, and school days.  Yes, November has arrived!  The tiny apple created a big impression as welcome as it was unexpected.  Sometimes the ordinary can truly shine.  When we let it.     
 
It stood out boldly; a simple yet simultaneously profound enquiry.  "How are you?... I haven't even asked..."  The tone of delivery took me by surprise.  The timing was perfect - we had been in eachother's company for a little more than three quarters of an hour.  There are moments like this for which you can never be prepared.  Together, we acknowledged what had just taken place with mild, and heartfelt amusement.    There was much to appreciate.  To the uninitiated (or, should that be, not yet indoctrinated?) therapy might look mundane or repetitive.  From where I sit, no two hours are ever the same.  Not even a little. 
 
It is the nuances that intrigue and excite me.  The therapeutic relationship is so ordinary, on the one hand, two people sitting and talking.  But, done well, the apparent simplicity is awesomely deceptive.   
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment