Friday 21 December 2012

Altered images and changing reflections

Another delicious bowl of soup.  Ginger and chilli made it a winter triumph.  Weekday suppers in Herne Hill are always good, and whilst the food is undeniably alluring, the company's unbeatable.  I could hardly believe my ears when Charlotte casually mentioned the run she had done earlier.  I almost choked when she told me how far she'd run and how quickly she'd done it.
 
This year has been bonkers.  Everything suddenly turned upside down.  And now it's returning to something of a new normal.  Charlotte is getting fitter and faster.  She could always run farther and faster than I can even imagine moving through space.  I'm back in the pool and am looking forward to spending a fair amount of time in underwater over the holidays.  I will be back on my bike in January.  Charlotte and I have plotted to clock up a few miles in the spring. 
 
So, Christmas is round the corner.  Cards have been written and presents have been wrapped.  The year is fading fast.  And what a year it has been.  Beginning in Hong Kong, it seems to have stretched for ever.  But, at the same time, it's flown.  Was it really 5 months ago that Charlotte was in chemo, preparing for surgery?  
 
I've had my hair cut shorter than it's been for over ten years, and hers is growing back as thick as ever, with a little extra wave.  Looking backwards, looking forwards.  I'm standing still and enjoying the moment. 
 
 
 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment