Saturday 5 January 2013

Getting smart

I have a smartphone.  I think most people do.  The question therefore is not whether our phones are smart, but whether we are.  I have phone-off days and weekends.  I may have even longer whilst on a Retreat.  When I'm on holiday, my phone is usually the last thing I want to look at.  I regularly leave my phone at home.  I like to think about my relationship with my phone from an attachment perspective, and strive to maintain a healthy attachment to it.  


This week has been a good reminder of where my phone fits into my life.  I took a deep breath, fastened my seat belt, and switched off the data roaming facility.  Phones are useful.  That much is beyond doubt.  They offer security and peace of mind.  But they also present a challenge.  Connecting people (Nokia's strapline) does not necessarily equate with life being good (LG).  Getting closer (another Nokia pledge) comes with drawbacks.

We of the digital age face enormous and sometimes overwhelming pressure to be 'in touch'.  In the era of social media, we are networking faster than ever - in real time.  We are conversing with everyone and no one.  Instantly.  The waiting is over.  Instant messenger have been replaced by FaceTime.  

I value and appreciate technology.  Really I do.  I have the utmost respect for the advances being made to make life easier.  But easy communication is not the same as quality communication.  Call me old fashioned, but I still see a place in having a conversation face to face.  No, really face to face - like sitting opposite one another, able to see, hear, feel and smell the person in front of you.  

Therapy can involve far more than the spoken word.  And this is where mediums such as the phone, email, and even Skype cannot, I think, provide the same forum for the therapeutic encounter as the therapy room.  They have much to offer.  But not yet everything.      



Are you or someone you know addicted...?

Do you check your phone within an hour of waking up?
Do you check your phone within an hour of going to sleep?
Do you check your phone at times without any reason?
Do you check your phone over thirty times a day?
Do you have to check your phone the moment you receive a text or email?
Do you check and/or use your phone during face to face interactions?
Do you feel the urgent to text, call, or social network whilst driving?
If you were asked to give up your phone for a week, could you?


Characteristics observable in smartphone addiction...

Constant preoccupation with one's phone to the extent that the phone takes priority over other relationships and/or interests.
Spending an increasing amount of time on the phone; more than required for routine calls, important messages and email.
Inability to restrict mobile phone usage in spite of knowing harmful effects such as phone bills that exceed budget / desire to buy expensive upgrades.
Jiterriness, restlessness or anxiety and severe craving when not able to use the phone and great relief and pleasure when this becomes possible again.
Sleeping with the phone nearby, and repeatedly waking up to check for messages / status updates etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment