Thursday 10 January 2013

The personal touch

Personal training suits me well.  I get there, I warm up, I work out.  It's a fast moving workout that I don't even have to think about.  I simply follow the instructions, and give it my best shot.  Repeating a circuit of exercises put together with my precise needs and strengths in mind, gives me a chance to put my energy where it counts the most.  I don't even have to think about the weight I'm lifting.  It really is a weight off my shoulders.  Then there's the motivation when I most need it, and the encouragement where my own resistance surfaces in the face of the resistance.  There's no competition, yet there's everything to prove: to myself.  It's the best incentive I have encountered yet.


Therapy, done properly, is quite analogous.  The contract between a client and their therapist is remarkably similar.  There is a collaboration with a mutual aim, and within that several defined goals.  We work together to travel there.  We each have a separate role, and there are likely to be challenges along the way.  Remaining in those respective roles is crucial to the outcome.  As a therapist, there is work for me to do.  But this will be worth(far)less unless the client also 'shows up'.  Just like my temporary trainer Chris Challenger, I can't do my work without my client.    


Pick it up!




No comments:

Post a Comment