Saturday 23 February 2013

A proper education


It was an honour and a privilege to attend a Parents' dinner at the Oxford college where a dear friend's son began as a fresher in October. I went in my status as 'honorary auntie' (rather than fairy godmother), and appreciated very deeply the opportunity to reconnect with my own beginnings in Higher Education as an undergraduate, and also see things in parallel, from a different angle - through the eyes of a parent. 

The short evensong service was spot on - two of my all-time favourite hymns and a marvellous homily acknowledging the role played by parents shaping our earliest education, and the two way teaching-learning cycle; highlighting how much, as parents, we can (and should look to) learn from our children.  I left after a delicious dinner feeling nourished on each and every level. 

Conversation at High Table included many revelations.  It was a gift to be in an environment so evocative prompting several planned and unplanned reminiscences.  The feast of formality, which gave way to the forging of new friendships.  The confidence of age old ritual preserving the dignity of the educational establishment that is, in every other way, the epitome of modern excellence.  




It was a tremendous evening and one of the several highlights was this simple little poem so full of heart by the inspirational Diane Loomans, with whom I share a passionate interest in the innate human potential.  

“If I had my child to raise all over again,
I’d finger paint more, and point the finger less.
I’d do less correcting, and more connecting.
I’d take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I would care to know less, and know to care more.
I’d take more hikes and fly more kites.
I’d stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I’d run through more fields, and gaze at more stars.
I’d do more hugging, and less tugging.
I would be firm less often, and affirm much more.
I’d build self esteem first, and the house later.
I’d teach less about the love of power, and more about the power of love.”
Diane Loomans 

No comments:

Post a Comment