Friday 29 March 2013

Missing: Spring

Easter weekend.  Really?!  It's come round so fast.  Where did the last three months disappear to?  And what has happened to Spring.  The weather in London first thing yesterday and this morning has been deceptive.  But it did the trick.  There was hope.  It was possible to be optimistic.  The getting-to-work always feels easier when the sun shows its face.  We've seen so little of it that one could be forgiven for forgetting what morning sunshine is.  


Begin at once to live, and count each separate day as a separate life.  
Seneca


It's a good lesson in counting one's blessings.  I choose to live here.  After all.  Wouldn't live anywhere else.  Not just now, anyway.  So here I am.  And here we are.  And get on we should.  So I have been.  But it's been going pretty quickly.  In the blink of an eye it's the start of the new tax year.  How did that happen?  A lot has happened, and much has been achieved.  There is of course plenty that didn't quite come together.  The to-do list is still as impressively long.  But then this wouldn't be my life if it were any other way.

A break is on the horizon.  It's time.  I love my work.  It is an honour and a privilege to sit where I sit, and do what I do.  But self care is non negotiable in this profession.  Breaks are a matter of rhythm and routine.  The wheels have sped up recently, and this means that the brakes need to be checked, and the tyres kept nicely inflated.  After all, you can't give what you don't have.  It is my responsibility to see that my own house is in order.  In a metaphorical sense.  Obviously.  


Time goes by fast, and people go in and out of your life so quickly, so never miss the opportunity to tell these people how much they mean to you.  
Ralph Waldo Emerson






No comments:

Post a Comment