Saturday 4 May 2013

Swim. Ride. REST.

Such has been the pattern for me in recent days.  There are few things I enjoy doing more than driving on traffic free roads, riding on pleasantly winding roads without road markings and swimming in an uncrowded and beautifully maintained 50m pool.  Each of these activities have been enhanced by the fact that they have been engaged in for as long as I wish, without the need to clock-watch, or be interrupted by any form of modern communication.  I have been peacefully pacing myself, and getting in touch with my body and its fluctuating energy levels, maintaining maximum enthusiasm throughout. 

I have swum over 12k in the last four days.  But more to the point, I have enjoyed each and every length.  I have swum alongside some incredible fish-like swimmers.  True aquathletes.  I adore the pool at the Bath University Sports Training Village, and have written about its depth and fast water previously.  Something happens when I train, without the usual distractions of a busy weekday schedule into which a brief swim has been cleverly fitted (but only just) – I just swim, and swim on a little further.  I thought little of my 3.5k this morning.  It went swimmingly.  




I was barely aware of those I was sharing the lane with – there was ample room for each of us, and we maintained a steady pace, occasionally holding the wall for minibreak and a sip of our energy drink of choice (mine is usually of the Lucozade variety).  I was very aware of the pool – and quickly got into the zone I have fondly named mindful swimming.  I was focusing on my breath.  Each and every breath that came, and went.  Inhaling as I turned my head, before exhaling, slowly, mindfully, consciously, deliberately.  I swim with my mouth open throughout, Michael Phelps style(!)  Coming to the end of the length, I hold my breath, to tumble turn, and return back down the pool – taking a few power strokes to recommence my rhythm.  50m takes me 45 seconds.  The laps clock up, but I’m not really there to count.  I try to stay connected with my experience.  How I am feeling.  Body immersed.  Body being breathed.  


No comments:

Post a Comment