Monday 3 June 2013

Medal winning performances

I once worked for a man whose motto I have never forgotten. He still uses it when speaking in public to the many different audiences he addresses, and feels particularly relevant for me this week.

'Aspire and achieve against all odds'. It's a brilliant mission, and one I know at least two people were living up to this weekend. 

Charlotte has, I think, no idea how much of an inspiration she is to me, and I guess countless others. Those she teaches, formally and informally. Those she has ridden alongside (or, probably more often, in front of) over the years. The crews she formerly trained with as a rower, and the many others she has come into contact with personally, professionally, and within the plentiful spaces for serious amateur sports people in between. 

It seemed fitting that we were both up early for our respective challenges on Sunday. Our debuts and new found passions for which we've been training - she perhaps with a little more structure. Bags were packed, different gear but similar attention to detail, I'm guessing.

It's all about planning and preparation, after all... 

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/riding-against-cancer


The organisers of the ride I took part had mastered both. The meticulous organisation made for a great day out in the very attractive Sussex countryside, scrambling the North and South Downs. I ventured to pastures previously unknown...  Charlotte was doing similar. Her first ever Aquathlon. By her own admission she hadn't publicised this too widely. She wasn't sure what to expect. She needn't have worried. Naturally, she did brilliantly. 

I kept going around the seventy five miles as best I could. I developed something of a mantra, which I repeated countless times as I navigated and negotiated the course. 'Light legs - Strong legs'.  The shock to the system at the outset of the course, as I encountered a fiendishly steep incline sharply climbing 400ft around 10 miles in, somewhere near Billingshurst, served a purpose reminding me to unite and engage mind, body and breath. This was handy later on. There followed several stretches on the circuit that really were a case of mind over matter (and carbs!). 

I was grateful for the invaluable education I had received the previous day after our Lido swim, as I was introduced to Charlotte approved fuel. I felt quite the pro as I set off with bulging jersey pockets. This self image didn't last long and I was quickly humbled by the cadence others managed to sustain seemingly effortlessly.  Whilst impressed, I was never disheartened and therein lies the moral of the story - I was there with a single purpose - to rise to the challenge; to see it through - to come and conquer.

And that's precisely what happened...  I was delighted to smash my previous Personal Best achieved at the Breast Cancer Care RibbonRide a few weeks ago - and yesterday sailed past 60 miles at least half an hour faster than my last attempt.  My timing chip recorded 06:42:15, of which I spent 05:48 in the saddle.  I am still feeling chuffed.  More important still, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. There was, it seemed, a common purpose amongst participants. There was a sense of camaraderie that bred a great atmosphere which, combined with ideal weather conditions, counted for a lot. 

So, medals for both of us - Charlotte and I. Charlotte is (officially) a swimmer (complete with half of the Speedo concept store) and I am improving my bicycle handling, incrementally. 











No comments:

Post a Comment