Tuesday 6 August 2013

A life worth living

Dear Pool,

It was so good to see you again.  

To be greeted by your cool and refreshing water.  So empty on a Monday morning.  

The sunlight making those beautiful patterns on the painted bottom beneath me.

Enveloped by the depth, and supported by the volume.

Peaceful and serene.  

The beautiful quietness lacking language yet feeling never more so connected.  

I hadn't realised how much I have missed you, and what you give me.

It was so good to stretch, and breathe, and swim.

I have come to realise that time I spend in the water is never wasted time.

The state I find myself during and after a swim is hard to achieve elsewhere.

Whilst in water, I think, I am in my element.

I am looking forward to swimming more regularly...


We couldn't have wished for a better morning swim.  Whilst not the warmest it's been, it was quiet, and that was worth the few degrees difference in temperature.  The water was cool, and inviting.  I lapped it up.  And down.  I wasn't counting, but enjoyed finding a comfortable and meditative rhythm.  I swam for an hour, and remembered how vital swimming is to me.

We all of have things we enjoy doing that, for whatever reason, we don't do as much as we could.  And probably should.  For me, swimming is not just a pleasure, it's an important part of my well-being.  And being well is my priority.  

Why is it that we seek to justify those things we enjoy?  Why is it that we struggle to make time, to take time out?  I know why I've strayed away from the poolside:  I needed to acquaint myself with the saddle.  Preparing for a long distance bike ride (100 miles no less), means spending a lot of time on one's bike.  And I'm glad I did.  But I could perhaps have mixed my training up a bit more than I did.

Swimming is soul food, and just like my physical body, my soul and spirit need feeding well, and regularly. 







No comments:

Post a Comment