Monday 2 September 2013

The dubious pleasure

I am privileged to do the work I do.  I feel this at a cellular level most days that I work with clients.  I feel truly blessed to have found what feels to be my vocation.  I have been able to train to do work I love, and that I feel confident that I am reasonably good at.  In thinking about the relationship I have with my current career, I feel connected to my present purpose, and that feels tremendously important, providing me with both nourishment and reward.  

But my work is not without its challenges.  It is a great privilege to feel in touch with my talents and purpose, but not always such a pleasure.  The stories I hear each and every week are often horrific.  I derive enjoyment from my work, not from the content but from the process.  I never cease to be amazed and delighted by the depths of human resilience and resource, as demonstrated to me by those who have survived, and continue to survive, their stories.  I work with heroes, though many of them have yet to see an accurate reflection of themselves in the mirror that is this life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment