Sunday 24 November 2013

Inner Strength

It's been a while.  It's been hectic.  Life, (as John Lennon said) is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

I'm not sure I've been too busy on the planning front.  I've been doing a grand job of treading water though.  Whilst trying to keep my hands dry.  Or something to that effect.

In fact, I've not stepped near a swimming pool in what feels like an eternity.  

Nor have I been out on two wheels.  Which just feels odd.

This autumn has involved rather more than the predictable seasonal changes.  From where I'm sitting, there is little that hasn't changed.

Change is not always easy.

Unexpected, unwelcome changes are never easy.

So, in order to take things in my stride, I've had to walk taller...

And longer.

At times, it's felt like the incline was becoming too great.  And then I looked around me, to find myself in excellent company.  Good friends, like stars, are always there - mine show up just exactly when I need them to.

It's not all bleak, but there is a lot to contend with.  

"You're strong..."  

I smiled when a fellow group fitness enthusiast remarked on my strength.  She was referring to my choice of free weights.  It was a compliment, which I appreciated.  But, as we only recognise each other and do not yet know one another's names, the poignance of her comment was unknown to her.  

The last fortnight has served as a timely reminder as to the significance of my routine.  When life happens, I need things to hold onto.  In my self-selected structures, I find solace.  And there, I find the type of strength that matters. 




No comments:

Post a Comment