Tuesday 22 April 2014

Inherited Strength

Standing there (for, what felt like, ever) emulating a mighty Warrior my wonderful yoga teacher's compliment sank right the way down through my body - through my hands, and arms, my tired shoulders, down my back (which hasn't felt quite itself for the last 24 hours; it's been so well stretched) and into my legs. 
 
"Very strong" she remarked, as she subtly but significantly adjusted me.
 
In that moment, I felt grounded, and resilient.  I knew I could breathe a few more deep breaths, and felt myself rooting down, and bending my left knee a little deeper, feeling my weight distributed between each of my legs (by now feeling the workout), supported by the floor beneath me. 
 
Yoga is non-negotiable for me just now.  It is, quite simply, an essential and immovable part of my routine.  Those 60 or 90 minutes are absolutely invaluable and whilst not always transformative, are genuinely restorative.  I feel restored to sanity the moment I walk into the studio.  I feel held, and nourished when I'm instructed and supported to hold and nourish myself with my very own breath. 

 
"The pose begins when you want to leave it"


The strength she referred to was physical.  This comes and goes.  Some days I feel stronger than others but countless lengths of the pool and a few miles on various bikes means I am built for endurance.  I lift, I think, half decent weights (provided the music's loud enough) and have worked to achieve strength in both my upper and lower body.  That said, the backs of my arms whinge at the mention of a tricep press-up and I struggle to lunge carrying much more than my own bodyweight. 
 
But my exercise regime is about far more than physical strength.  I have sought refuge at the gym to develop far more than muscle tone.  I pay my subscription to boost my wellbeing, and that's about far more than achieving results than anyone else might notice.
 
It was the reference to my strength in yoga today that reminded me where it is that I get this new found (or recently confirmed) resilience from...
 
My mother has recently surprised all those responsible for her care.  They are an amazing bunch.  They really are.  But, professional opinion, expertise and experience counted for naught when she took us all by surprise.  They were no less shocked than we were by her remarkable recovery following a very bleak 48 hour period that we feared she might not see the end of. 
 
Mummy's not going anywhere.  For now.  I regularly dedicate my practice to her, and can surely sit deeper in chair posture when I'm thinking of her.  We're both warriors. 
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment