Wednesday 25 February 2015

Contentment is...

...finding joy in the ordinary; taking pleasure in the simple things, like finding myself smiling whilst walking to the underground station.


At the beginning of the year, I made a note to myself, to allow myself enough time to walk, when the weather permits, rather than getting the bus.  


More often than not, the weather is not so inclement that I cannot walk.  It is just that I tend to leave insufficient time, thus robbing myself of the opportunity to spend 15-20 minutes outdoors before descending onto the Northern line.


The walk, whilst not the most interesting, creates a spaciousness.  It is an opportunity to shift gears, and turn my attention inward, to notice where it is that I am at that particular moment.  Taking some time to see the sunshine, and feel the breeze on my face is like a dose of 'contentment'.  


There are few people for whom the longer daylight hours do not positively impact.  At this time of year, it is not uncommon for this to enter the door of my consulting room as a theme on which we might touch briefly.  People notice increased energy levels, creativity and a welcome lift in their mood.


Things seem better under a blue sky.  Spring has sprung, and there is renewed hope.  It is as though we begin to emerge from our hibernation.


It is spring again.
The earth is like a child
that knows 
poems by heart.
Rainer Maria Rilke


No comments:

Post a Comment