Friday 5 June 2015

Going away to come back

I have, I know, written previously about my relationship with travel.  It need not be all that far but there is, for me, something very important about going away.

Most of us operate within routines.  We may do so more or less knowingly.  We are, I'm afraid, creatures of habit.  

Our habits and routines keep us safe.  They help us to manage.  But, every so often, we must break out from the structures we impose upon ourselves.  If only to re assess and re evaluate their value and utility.

Taking stock is something I prioritise.  For me, this entails coming out of my usual environment and pausing my routine.  This enables me to see more readily what it is that I am stepping aside from.

'They' say a change is as good as a rest.  The best changes I have implemented are those I have conceived of from a rested place. 

Rest is not a state that can necessarily be achieved amidst the hustle and bustle, the comings and goings that my ordinary everyday entails.  

And so, before I can come back to myself, I must firstly create space by stepping out of the structure, routine and environment that together comprise the system I am wishing to appraise.  





No comments:

Post a Comment