Tuesday 23 June 2015

Returning from a slip (of mind and body)

I was reminded once again how easy it is to let go of a habit.

Not because you're trying to change it, but because your routine changes.

My routines are the foundations of those habits I seek to promote.  Time is precious.  And mine, like most other people's, is limited.  Which is why, if I want to do something, I have to find the time to do it in.

Which is where my diary comes in.  If it's in the diary, the chances it will actually happen are far higher.  And that's due to the simple fact that, for something to appear in the diary, it means that time has been allocated.

When our routines stop, no matter how briefly, significant change can result.  Which may be good.  Or, in the case of my yoga practice, less good...  I find myself feeling stiffer:  physically, and psychologically.

It is time to re-start, and re-acquaint with my mat.  And the first step is to let go of any frustration associated with the fact that I broke a habit that has been helpful, choosing instead to focus on the benefits I will once again reap.  Progress, not perfection.  And, breathe!


Yoga is not about touching your toes; 
it's about what you learn on the way down.
Judith Lasate



No comments:

Post a Comment