Sunday 13 September 2015

AMICI: Amazing Grace

It was quite the highlight of my weekend.  I had been looking forward to the evening since Charlotte booked our tickets.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  So I expected nothing, and looked forward with tremendous anticipation nonetheless.  Expectations are rarely helpful.

The performance was like nothing I have seen before.  It was beautiful.  It was harrowing.  It made me think.  It forced me to feel.  It challenged me.  It humbled me.  It reminded me what a privilege it is to be alive.  

Their wonderful show was about difference.  And it was about commonality.  There in front of us were a cast united in their mission.  They entertained us.  But they did so much more besides.  They invited us to look beyond physical ability.  And there it was.  Talent in abundance.

Each one of us is so much more than a physical being.  And that was what I was reminded of by Amici.  In their humanity they made magic.  In their embodiment of aliveness they prompted me to rethink my values, and my priorities.

Their movements encouraged a subtle yet profound movement within me.  Today I recognise that that movement was an alteration in my attitude.  A shift in my perspective.  A dose of gratitude. 

I am alive.  This is a privilege.  Not a right.  I have mobility.  When I think about what this means to me, I can choose to celebrate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment