Thursday 17 December 2015

The auction

And the day finally arrived.  We had been to meet them the day before, but there could be no preparation for the feelings that followed.  Anticipation.  Excitement.  Nausea. 
Impulse buys are strange things.  They can go one of two ways.  Time will tell.  
There was a concentrated atmosphere around the hall.  An unconcealed competition.  A rivalry.  It felt risky.  Edgy.  Unnerving.
I could hear the adrenaline building.  Slowly, but surely.  As the lot numbers increased, and we approached. 
My luck was in.  I had only a commission bid to contend with.  And then it was over.  I held up my paddle:  479.
I won!  I won! 

I will take delivery of the piano that is new to me in the new year.  



Life is like a piano.  
What you get out of it depends on how you play it.
Tom Lehrer


No comments:

Post a Comment