Friday 2 September 2016

Swimming through life and beyond it

And so, she is gone.  We have said goodbye to one another in this life.  Sitting beside her in hospital with lines trailing from both her hands, I realised that all that needed to be said had been said.  

Death gives clarity to life.  Suddenly all is so wonderfully clear.  Meaning, purpose and passion are everything.

Charlotte has always shown me what it is that really matters.  These are the lessons I get to keep for life:  Do what matters.  Every day.  Forget everything else.

Life's too short to rush through it.  Pause awhile to stand in the awe of its beauty and get to know those spirits who make the world a beautiful place.

I have had the great privilege of getting to know one such woman.


Hours after she passed away, swimming came naturally.  Her effortless grace got me to the poolside far earlier that morning than normal.  The water was peaceful and calm.  Those within it, perhaps less so.  Those who get there en route to work are mostly there on a mission.  My own was to enjoy my swim and feel the camaraderie.  

There is no need to be alone.  Though I would probably recognise only a handful of those I was surrounded by, I drew comfort from being amongst my own as life does what life does:  continue to unfold in all its strangeness, and all its wonder.

Charlotte's spirit shall continue to give me strength, and inspiration.  I have so much to tap into.  I feel so humbled by the grace with which she lived and am dedicated to honouring her and our precious friendship as best I can.  

A life lived well.  A life filled with love.  A life full of laughter.  A life full of fun.  A life lived to the last.  

Charlotte Easton  2 Dec 79 - 1 Sept 16

No comments:

Post a Comment